Saturday, September 1, 2012

Turkey and Cheddar Panini

Here is a perfect example of inexpensive ingredients put together to make something truly delicious and restaurant quality (if you don't mind me saying). Years ago I bought a Panini pan from All-Clad and promptly used the grill pan lower half...but never used the cast iron "press" lid that came with it. Since I've been experimenting with bread making I decided it was high time I start making Paninis!

I literally grabbed what was in my kitchen and went to work...



Turkey and Cheddar Panini

INGREDIENTS
(for 2 sandwiches)

2 Tbsp. butter
1 shallot, minced
dried thyme (to taste)
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
4 slices italian bread 3/4 inch thick
grainy dijon mustard
meat (I used Oscar Mayer Deli Sliced Turkey Breast)
cheese (I used Target Brand Sharp Yellow Cheddar)
extra virgin olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS

In small saucepan melt butter. Toss in shallots, sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper. 
Sauté until shallots are softened. Set aside

Preheat Nonstick Panini Pan or Electric Panini Press on med-high heat.

Spread mustard on all 4 slices of bread
Top with turkey breast slices, then cheese
Spread 1/2 shallot mixture on one sandwich, 1/2 on the other
Add top piece of bread to create sandwich
Brush each side of sandwich with olive oil

Place sandwich on grill pan and PRESS DOWN on Panini lid. Mine is cast iron and heavy but I still needed to press down. Press for a couple of minutes and then check bottom of sandwich for dark golden color and grill marks. Then flip sandwich and repeat.

Remove from pan when dark and crisp...and prepare to be blown away...





No comments:

Post a Comment