Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day Reflections - Crock Pot Week, Day 1 (Ropa Viejo)

Recently our family went through a huge upheaval. Our daughter started Kindergarten, we had a baby (George), sold a house, moved (ourselves!) and settled into a new one. It meant a lot of changes for all of us...but particularly for me. I think as Moms we tend to take care of our families and put ourselves on the back burner. I know I tried my best to make the transition easy on Dave and the kids, but somehow lost myself along the way.


This new cooking thing, this blog, is my new creative outlet. I look forward to Thursdays when I plan the week's menu, head to the store and then make my first dish of the week. There's something about standing in my kitchen, music on, birds (and deer!) at the feeder, and cooking that creates a zen like calm in the chaos. The world truly drifts away and I take my time, drink my wine, and create. Even if following a recipe is a bit like paint-by-numbers it's still art...still quiet, reflective time where the end result is not only nurturing my family, but nurturing myself as well...Literally and figuratively.


The day before Dave went away last week we went to a Cuban restaurant and polished off a pitcher of Mojitos. Since then I've been jonesing for Cuban food...Here is my first foray.




Ropa Viejo (Cuban Braised Beef with Peppers)

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
    • 2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    • 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
    • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • kosher salt and black pepper
    • 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds
    • 1 cup long-grain white rice
    • 1 avocado, sliced
    • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

INSTRUCTIONS

    1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, 11/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
    2. Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
    3. Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the avocado and cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment